Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Loved 2011, will love 2012 even more...

Happy New Year! I hope you all had a great Christmas season with your family and friends, as we did. Although Olivia was under-the-weather for most of the holidays, we still had a fun & busy time.  We started off the month slowly decorating for Christmas inside and outside. I took a minimalist approach this year, and only decorated a little bit, since I’ve found that having an almost-two year old helps to really consume space in the house. But, I was also a little bit lazy. I bought some red lights for our bushes outside, and only decorated about half of them.
Our lights

Christmas Eve started off with Ethan and I assembling Olivia’s present – and 3 hours later, a new kitchen. Christmas Eve service at church was wonderful and pretty as always. We then went to my uncle’s house to celebrate with my side of the family. Things are always so crazy there because we have such a large family here in Houston, but the food is always good. Olivia was so tired already, that we couldn’t stay to open all of the presents. But, we did make sure that Olivia opened these presents from my aunt! I searched at Target, Toys R Us and Walmart and realized that they don’t sell Barney toys anymore, so this was a great surprise! These came from my cousins from when they were younger. I think it brought great joy to my aunt to see Olivia so in love with these new toys.


Before Christmas Eve service


All of Olivia's aunts and uncle


Barney!


All of Barney's friends and my aunt. "I love you, you love me. We're a happy family."


The next morning, we opened presents as a family at home. Olivia was just speechless over her kitchen, and she has loved every minute of having it so far. We spent the rest of the day at Ethan’s family’s home with Grammy, Papa, ‘Nena and Blake. Brunch and dinner was yummy as always. It was a long day, but a special one.

Barney in all of the action.
Olivia and Grandma.


Periodic Table blocks from daddy.


All set up in the playroom.


Opening presents at Grammy's and Papa's house.

We needed a couple days to recover from the parties, and luckily Ethan had the entire week off. It was a little too cool for the zoo, so we decided to spend the morning at the Children’s Museum. Olivia loves going, but she’s starting to always be one of the oldest kids in the Tot Spot. So this time, we decided to spend more time downstairs. She loved running around outside and inside. We’ve really enjoyed coming here, that we just renewed our membership.

Looking like a giant at the Tot Spot

 

At the library downstairs

One of the highlights of this week was seeing our dear friend, Bindi, in town from New Jersey. I was lucky to have been able to visit her back in September, but it’s always nice to see her back home where we all grew up and went to college together. She came over to play with the girls before we had a ladies’ dinner at Sweet Tomatoes.  The visit was too short though.


Oh yes it's Ladies' Night.....at Sweet Tomatoes

The girls always love playing together. Grace came over today to play (not pictured…sorry) and we had a fun time. But, I am so sad that we won’t have many more play dates soon because Olivia’s dear friends, Abigail & Emily, and our dear friends Amy & Andy are moving away soon for Andy's new job. I just try not to think about it, but I know it’s the best for their family, so I support them 100%. *tear*
Best Friends Forever
So as this season came to an end, and we slowly packed up decorations, I am just so thankful for Ethan, Olivia, our family and our friends. It’s so easy to always think about what we don’t or may never have, stress about drama in our families and to think that things just aren’t “good enough” compared to another mom who is always perfect.  So for 2012, I am holding myself to a higher standard…..to get rid of all of the aforementioned “junk,” to be thankful for what we have, to commit myself to helping others and to live my life according to God’s will, not mine. Friends to friends, we have each other’s backs physically and spiritually in low and high times, and should call each other out when needed….not because we are ready to offend or defend, but because we are friends. So besides getting my butt back into gear with strength training and cardio (who’s with me here?!?!) and no french fries for fifty days (boo...), that is my new year’s resolution.

Happy New Year! It’s going to be a GREAT one for you….I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment